This article covers the various insignia in the Re-imagined Series, from arm patches to emblems.
Every crewmember wears a ship patch on the left shoulder of his or her uniform. It is a round patch depicting the Colonial seal in the middle, around which the ship's name together with its Battlestar Group are written. Galactica's crew patch is colored gold, with "Battlestar Galactica BSG 75" written around the seal in a very dark, almost black, blue. The Pegasus patch is blue with white lettering. Triton's patch is colored the same as Galactica's.
The color of the stitching also differs slightly depending on the type of uniform it is attached to. Dark blue on the blue duty uniform (on Galactica), dark green on the green fatigues, and dark brown on the flight suits, deck crew jumpsuits and khaki duty uniforms.
Some civilian ship captains, acting as judges at Gaius Baltar's trial, also wear patches on their dress uniforms. The patch on Doyle Franks' uniform identifies her as the captain of Prometheus, and the captain to her right is from Pyxis (Crossroads, Part I). It is unknown whether the symbols on the patches represent solely the ships or possibly the companies that owned them. The symbol on the Prometheus patch is also present on the uniform buttons.
Duty uniform devices
On regular uniforms and flight suits, pilot qualification wings can be worn over left breast. These exist in two variations. "Junior Wings" with two chevrons on a golden diamond and small swept-back wings to the sides, and "Senior Wings" with larger outstretched wings and an additional silver lining behind the diamond. The latter might be awarded for significant flight-hours or senior command qualification (e.g. capital ship).
- For information on the rank insignia, see Military Ranks (RDM)
Dress uniform devices
Dress uniforms are worn on formal occasions and are thus worn with additional adornments and insignia.
An elaborate ship's insignia is worn on the uniform flap over the right breast. It is a metal version of the shoulder patch. All other insignia are worn on a leather sash that runs diagonally across the uniform.
One pin is a variation of a Galactica insignia from the Original Series, with an additional star on top. These come in gold and silver. Like with the other devices, their function is unknown. They are likely medals awarded for distinguished service or valor.
Commander Adama in dress uniform (Water).
Dress uniform insignia of the honor guard in "Act of Contrition".
- Junior pilot.jpg
Junior pilot qualification wings.
The Adamas in dress uniform (Miniseries).
- Medal of Distinction. A medal awarded by the Colonial Fleet.
- Uniforms (RDM) for information on the uniforms of the Re-imagined Series.
- Military Ranks (RDM) for information on the rank insignia of the Re-imagined Series.
- Squadrons of Galactica for information on squadron insignia used in the Re-imagined Series.
- Insignia (TOS) for information on insignia used in the Original Series.
- A detailed analysis of Battlestar Galactica rank insignia and uniform devices by Jim Stevenson. The source of some of this article's images.
- A high resolution version of the device chart shown on the site above.