Viper Mark I (Eaglemoss)
|"Viper Mark I (TOS)"|
An item of merchandise of the Original Series
|Battlestar Galactica: The Official Ships Collection|
|Release Date||31 August 2018|
Display stand and collectors magazine.
|Available at Amazon – Purchase|
|Available at Eaglemoss – Purchase|
The Viper Mark I is issue #4 from Eaglemoss' Battlestar Galactica: The Official Ships Collection, a series of collectible models from the Battlestar Galactica multiverse.
It holds the distinction of being the first release of an Original Series craft in the aforementioned product line.
From Eaglemoss' product page:
- This Viper Mark I is the first model of the Colonial Viper space fighter line and was also known as the Starhound Class Viper. These small, nimble, single-pilot ships were designed for both atmospheric and space flight and were stationed on Colonial Battlestars, each of which held a squadron of 75. It was introduced to the military service not so long before the First Cylon War (sic) as a defensive counterattack against the Cylon Fleet.
- The ship comes complete with a 16-page collector’s magazine providing an in-depth profile of the ship, exclusive behind the scenes articles, and original design sketches.
The collector's magazine for this item features:
- Page 1: Front Cover
- Page 2: Stand Assembly Instructions
- Page 3: Design Spec
- Page 4: Ship Profile
- Pages 8 - 9: Orthographic Views and Callouts
- Pages 10 - 13: Behind the Scenes - "Visualizing the Viper" featuring Ralph McQuarrie's concept art
- Page 14: Ralph McQuarrie - "Alien Artwork"
- Page 15: Advertisement for Issue 5 - Cylon Baseship
Erroneously interspersed within the magazine are insignia and emblems from the Re-imagined Series exclusively:
- Colonial seal on the back cover, in the background of page 2, and across the page spread of 8 and 9;
- Galactica seal on the front cover next to the ship's name;
- Emblems for each of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol in the bottom margin of pages 8 and 14, and the upper margin of page 9;
- Primus' squadron emblem on the top of page 3, and the left margin of page 8.
- Hero Collector: FIRST LOOK: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: CLASSIC VIPER (web.archive.org backup link)
- Hero Collector: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: CLASSIC VIPER BLUEPRINTS (web.archive.org backup link)
- Eaglemoss USA: Viper Mk I (TOS) Product Listing (web.archive.org backup link)
- Eaglemoss UK: Battlestar Galactica Viper Mark I Ship Series Product Listing (web.archive.org backup link)
- In reality, variants of the Viper existed in the Original Series, such as the craft identified by C.O.R.A. as a "sixth-millennium starfighter" in "The Long Patrol." Calling this a "Mark I" is more in line with the Re-imagined Series nomenclature for the Viper superiority craft.
- The "First Cylon War" is a term used in the Re-imagined Series. The term should be "Thousand Yahren War."
- This page count includes the front and back magazine cover.
- The Twelve Colonies of Man did not have noticeable symbology.